Last updated on March 11th, 2018 at 10:04 pm
Applications are currently been submitted for the Wellcome trust, Seed Awards in Science for Researchers from Lower and Middle Income Countries, 2018, eligible persons are advised to hurry and apply for this program before the program deadline.
Seed Awards in Science help researchers develop new ideas to make them competitive for larger awards (from us or other organisations).
Wellcome exists to improve health for everyone by helping great ideas to thrive. They are a global charitable foundation, both politically and financially independent. They support scientists and researchers, take on big problems, fuel imaginations, and spark debate.
Awards are available to pursue research.
Awards are available in the field of Science.
A Seed Award in Science is worth up to £100,000 for duration of up to two years. The support includes:
- research expenses, including research assistance
- materials and consumables
- access charges
- research management and support costs
- travel and subsistence
- overseas allowances
- fieldwork expenses
- publication costs
- clinical research costs
- other costs
Scholarship can be taken in
To apply for a Seed Award in Science, you must:
- have completed a PhD or an equivalent higher degree
- be based at a host organization in the UK, Republic of Ireland or an eligible low- or middle-income country (apart from India)
- receive personal salary support from your host organisation, or have a personal award or fellowship that provides a salary but no research expenses, for the duration of the Seed Award in Science
- have a research project that is within our scientific remit.
Who can’t apply?
Seed Awards in Science are not for:
- discrete projects with no follow-on plans
- bridge funding or short-term fellowships.
You can’t apply if:
- you already have funding at a similar level to a Seed Award in Science (or you’ve had it in the 12 months before the closing date for this award)
- you’ve held a Seed Award in Science in the past
- your salary comes from Wellcome Trust funding (eg Institutional Strategic Support Fund).
If you’ve already made two unsuccessful applications for this award, you usually can’t submit another application for 12 months.
If you’re based at a core-funded research organisation, you can’t usually apply. Please contact us to discuss your eligibility.
Researchers from lower and middle income countries (Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde* (Capo Verde), Central African Republic, Chad, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Arab Rep., El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, The Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Islamic Rep., Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Dem Rep., Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao PDR, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia, FYR, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, RB, Vietnam, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen, Rep., Zambia and Zimbabwe) are eligible to apply for this award.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have completed a PhD or an equivalent higher degree.
English language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply:
Stages of application
Submit your full application
- You must submit your application through the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker.
- View the Sample full application form for Seed Awards in Science [PDF 1.5MB].
Scientific review and short listing
- Wellcome staff and the Seeds Advisory Panel will assess the applications.
- We aim to give you a decision within nine weeks of the application deadline. There are no interviews. In general, we don’t provide specific written feedback to unsuccessful applicants.
Application Deadline: Award application deadline is March 18, 2018.