The Vinson & Elkins is inviting applications for the V&E Diversity Scholarships to high school seniors from historically underrepresented groups in the legal profession. With the purpose, the V&E Scholars Program has defrayed the costs of a college education for minority students with strong academic credentials who have an interest in the legal profession and financial need.The Program awards seven scholarships $10,000 each, in four $2,500 installments.
Established in Houston in 1917 by William A. Vinson and James A. Elkins, the firm’s time-tested role as trusted advisor has made “V&E a go-to law firm” for many of the world’s leading businesses, especially in the energy and finance industries.At Vinson & Elkins, their people are their strongest asset.
Eligible students must:
- Be a senior in the top 20 percent of his/her class at an Austin, Dallas, or Houston-area high school accredited by the Texas Education Agency
- Be a member of a racial/ethnic group which has been historically underrepresented in the legal profession (i.e. Asian, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, or Multiracial/Two or More Races)
- Have a minimum of 1100 SAT combined score, or a composite ACT score of 22
- Demonstrate an interest in working in a law firm setting
- Have a financial need
- A U.S. citizen, or a resident in the Houston, Dallas, Austin, or surrounding areas for seven continuous years
How to Apply:
Interested candidates may register for the V&E Scholars Program, through the given link:
- An essay (500-1500 words) on your personal story and/or career goals (PDF), submitted as part of the application. Mention any extracurricular and community activities that demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career as a lawyer
- A resume (PDF), submitted as part of the application
- Completed financial aid applications (PDF), submitted as part of the application, e-mailed or mailed to the V&E Diversity Scholarship Foundation (see address below)
- Two letters of recommendation that must come from a teacher in whose classes you were enrolled within the past year or from a guidance counselor or coach at your school, e-mailed to scholarshipfoundation-at-velaw.com, or mailed to the V&E Diversity Scholarship Foundation
- An official high school transcript, e-mailed or mailed to the V&E Diversity Scholarship Foundation
- Your decision on which college to attend (e-mailed)
A complete application consists of the following materials submitted to
V&E Diversity Scholarship Foundation
ATTN: Cheryl Felps, Human Resources
1001 Fannin St., Ste. 2300
Houston, TX 77002-6760
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- The program awards seven scholarships each year to diverse high school students in Houston, Dallas, and Austin.
- Each scholarship provides $10,000, in four $2,500 installments, paid directly to the college or university at the beginning of each school year.
- The scholarship also provides reimbursement for a LSAT preparatory course and offers V&E Scholars the opportunity to be considered for summer internships in V&E’s Austin, Dallas, or Houston office during the summers of their undergraduate studies.
The on-line application submissions are accepted through April 1, 2017, and recipients will be notified in May 2017.
Link for More Information: