Applications are now available for the UoN Research Higher Degree Scholarships for International Students in Australia, and Next scholarship round applications close 18 August; Latest Outcome Date: 1 December 2017; Latest Commencement Date: 30 July 2018. Only eligible persons will be considered for this scholarship program
School(Institutions/ Country): University of Newcastle (UoN) | Australia
Level: Postgraduate Research Programme
Field(s): any of the courses at University of Newcastle (UoN).
Deadline: Next scholarship round applications close 18 August; Latest Outcome Date: 1 December 2017; Latest Commencement Date: 30 July 2018
Funded By: University of Newcastle (UoN) and Commonwealth Government
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): UoN Research Higher Degree Scholarships are targeted forInternational students.
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship covers:
The scholarship may also include:
PhD scholarships are for three and a half years and Masters scholarships are for two years, less any tenure already completed towards a research degree.
‣ The University offers a number of postgraduate research UoN Research Higher Degree Scholarships to support international research candidates. Applications are accepted between 1 January and 31 August each year.
Successful UoN Research Higher Degree Scholarships candidates usually have:
- written statement of support from a UON supervisor
- an satisfy the English proficiency requirement (IELTS of at least 6.5, 7.0 in some disciplines)
- met admission eligibility criteria
- be no more than two full-time equivalent years into their PhD (or one year for Masters) at the scholarship closing date in which you are applying.
Successful international scholarship candidates usually also have:
- A master degree with strong research component
- International peer reviewed research publication or research experience
Key scholarship conditions
- be enrolled full-time (part-time enrolment may be approved in exceptional circumstances. Part-time scholarships are taxable)
- be enrolled on-campus (off-campus enrolment may be approved in exceptional circumstances)
- scholars may only work a maximum of 8 hours per week (between Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)
- scholarship offers must be taken up by the latest commencement date for the round in which the scholar has applied.
‣ Scholarship outcomes are known from mid December each year.
Scholarship Application Method
Step 1 – Find a research degree
Find the right research degree for you on our full listing of:
Step 2 – Find a supervisor
All research degree candidates require a supervisor.
Scholarship applicants – All Commonwealth Government and UON scholarship applications must include a statement of support from a UON supervisor to be considered for scholarship. Support from a potential supervisor is needed before your application can be considered but does not guarantee that you will be offered admission or awarded a scholarship.
For admission only applicants – it is highly recommended you liaise with a UON supervisor prior to submitting your application.
Step 3 – Write a research proposal
You are required to submit a research proposal which is a clear statement describing your proposed area of research. Consultation with an academic staff member in your area of research interest is required.
Step 4 – Apply now
If you have already registered, continue to the online application form.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: Next scholarship round applications close 18 August; Latest Outcome Date: 1 December 2017; Latest Commencement Date: 30 July 2018
Round 1, 2018
- Closing Date: 16 February 2018
- Latest Outcome Date: 1 June 2018
- Latest Commencement Date: 1 November 2018
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.