University of Michigan Centre for the Education of Women (CEW) Scholarships for Women 2017/2018
The CEW Scholarship Program, which today serves women and nontraditional students, was established in 1970 to honor the academic performance and potential of women whose education has been interrupted and to commemorate the one hundredth anniversary of the admission of women to the University of Michigan.
Application Deadline: 15th February, 2017
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): USA
About the Award: Thanks to the generosity of individuals, organizations, clubs, and foundations, CEW has awarded over 1,600 scholarships since 1970. CEW Scholarship Awards are invaluable they often mean the difference between completing a degree or not doing so, for many students at the University of Michigan. Due to the generosity of donors, CEW was able to expand the program in 2008 to include additional scholarships for students of all genders on the Ann Arbor campus.
Type: Undergraduate, Graduate
CEW Scholarship applicants must be attending the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, Flint, or Dearborn campuses) during the year for which the scholarship is awarded and 2) Must have at least one (1) of the criteria listed below:
- A minimum two-year (24 month) consecutive interruption in education anytime since high school OR
- Primary Caregiver*
- A minimum five-year (60 month) consecutive interruption in education anytime since high school OR
- Primary Caregiver*
*Primary Caregiver definition:
- Lives in the same residence at least 50% of the time and consistently assumes major responsibility for housing, health, and safety of a minor, older adult, or disabled adult; anticipates this responsibility will continue during the upcoming academic year.
- Lives in separate residence and provides care for a minor, older adult, or disabled adult for a minimum of 20 hours per week without monetary compensation for at least the past 6 months; anticipates this responsibility will continue during the upcoming academic year.
In addition to these criteria, preference will be given to undergraduate students who currently qualify for a federal PELL grant, and undergraduate and graduate students who are first generation students (no parent has completed a bachelor’s degree).
Selection: If you are selected to be a CEW Scholar you:
- Must be enrolled at one of the three University of Michigan campuses for the next Academic Year (2017-18). If you will be a non-enrolled PhD student working on your dissertation for the terms you will be using your scholarship award, notify email@example.com.
Must respond to CEW communications regarding the submission of a digital photo of yourself, the approval of a biography written about you based on your personal statement and recommendations, and the submission of a thank you letter to your fellowship award donor.
Recipients are strongly encouraged to participate in the CEW Scholar Community (CEWSC) associated with this award, including:
- Attendance at at least 2 CEWSC events or programs, and/or participation in a Scholar directory
- Recipients are strongly encouraged to participate in the CEW Scholar Community (CEWSC) associated with this award, including:
Number and Value of Scholarship: Approximately 40 scholarships are awarded annually ranging from $1,000 to $10,000, with some larger scholarship awards given.
How to Apply: Before applying, please review the Eligibility criteria outlined above. The application process is online in M-Compass (use Apply Now* button on this page) and includes the following elements:
- Application Questionnaire, including short answer responses and transcript upload (current transcript only if applying based solely on Primary Caregiver status, all transcripts surrounding interruption if applying based partially or solely on Education Interruption).
- Financial Information Questionnaire: This is not shared with selection committees. It is used to determine the amount of the award should the applicant be selected, based on merit, as a CEW Scholar
- 3 Online Recommendations (faculty preferred but not required) – requested within M-Compass
- Once all requirements are met and all documents are uploaded, click the Submit Application button at the top of the Program Application Page.
Please Note: Apply Now button is visible only when applications are currently being accepted.
Award Provider: University of Michigan Centre for the Education of Women (CEW)