University of Birmingham Distinguished Alumni Scholarship scheme
We are offering awards of £2,000 per scholarship to outstanding alumni wishing to undertake Masters study at the University during 2017-18.
The Scholarships will be awarded to up to 50 candidates based on performance in their undergraduate studies at the University. If you are in your final year of undergraduate study at Birmingham and are due to graduate this year, you are eligible to apply.
Candidates are expected to attain a First-class or Upper Second-class (2:1) Honours degree (or the equivalent) for their undergraduate qualification.
- Gain admission to a taught Masters programme (eg, MA or MSc) or a combined taught-and-research Masters programme (eg, MRes) at Birmingham for 2017 entry. This includes distance-learning programmes.
- Be an alumnus of the University, which includes any student who has undertaken an undergraduate degree or exchange programme (for no less than one semester) at Birmingham. It also includes current final-year undergraduate students.
- Be self-funded or applying for a postgraduate government loan to pay your fees and living expenses.
Note: students already registered on a postgraduate programme are not eligible to apply.
Scholarships will be awarded to up to 50 candidates based on academic performance in their previous studies at the University of Birmingham. Nominees will be selected by a cross-college panel at the University. Nomination will be based on the following criteria:
- Weighted mean marks from their undergraduate study
- Ranking within their University of Birmingham cohort
- Professional qualifications and achievements
- Strength of the personal statement
Note: Students who have previously participated in the University of Birmingham Access to Birmingham Scheme (A2B), Realising Opportunities or a similar outreach or widening participation programme at the University of Birmingham will be prioritised for awards.
Successful candidates will be notified during May 2017.
How to Apply:
To be considered for a Distinguished Alumni Scholarship, applicants must, by the 28 April deadline, have:
- Made an application to their intended Masters programme. Please apply through the relevant programme page on the Course finder section of the University of Birmingham website. Before applying, applicants are advised to read the DAS Guidance Notes 2017.
- Completed the Distinguished Alumni Scholarship application form. Applicants should enter the application ID number that they were given during their application to the Masters programme.
The closing date for submission of applications is 17:00 on 28 April 2017.