The InnovateHER Challenge
The Coastal Bend Business Innovation Center is pleased to announce the InnovateHER Challenge. Citizens or permanent residents of the United States who are at least 18 years of age at the time of their submission of an entry are eligible to apply. InnovateHER Challenge provides an opportunity for entrepreneurs throughout the U.S. to showcase innovative products and services that help impact the lives of women and families.The finalists will pitch their products and services to a panel of expert judges and compete for up to $70,000 in cash prizes at the national InnovateHER pitch contest.
The Innovation Center is a small Business Incubator that nurtures the development of innovative companies. They provide strategic guidance, access to investors, business mentors, and a ready-made network of business and professional resources.
The Challenge criteria: the SBA is looking for entrepreneurs to create a product or service that meets the following three (3) criteria:
- Has a measurable impact on the lives of women and families (30%)
- Has the potential for commercialization (40%)
- Fills a need in the marketplace (30%)
- The Challenge is open to both men and women
This Competition is open only to:
- Citizens or permanent residents of the United States are eligible
- Who are at least 18 years of age at the time of their submission of an entry (or teams of such individuals) are eligible.
- Private entities, such as corporations or other organizations that are incorporated in and maintain a primary place of business in the United States. Individuals submitting on behalf of corporations, nonprofits, or groups of individuals (such as an academic class or another team) must meet the eligibility requirements for individual contestants. An individual may belong to more than one team, corporation, or nonprofit organizations submitting an entry in this Competition.
- SBA employees are not eligible nor are Federal entities or Federal employees acting within the scope of their employment.
How to Apply:
To apply for the scholarship, the applicant can download application and acknowledgment form through the given link:
- Application Form: http://cbbic.tamucc.edu/innovateHER2017/Application-Package.docx
- Acknowledgment Form: http://cbbic.tamucc.edu/innovateHER2017/InnovateHER-Acknowledgement-Form.pdf
A business plan overview:
- Provide a brief description of your business and the product/service of the business (200 words limit)
- Describe how your product/service has a measurable impact on the lives of women and families (250 words limit)
- Describe how your product/service has the potential for commercialization (250 words limit)
- Describe how your product/service fills a need in the marketplace (250 words limit)
The applicant may return your signed Acknowledgement Form to Sebastian Garzon by emailing to Sebastian.Garzon-at-tamucc.edu
Financial Aid and Award Money:
The finalists of the national competition will pitch their products and services to a panel of expert judges and compete for the top three awards in cash prizes:
- 1st Place: $40,000
- 2nd Place: $20,000
- 3rd Place: $10,000
For winning entries submitted by teams, prize money will be awarded to the self-identified project leader for distribution to the rest of the team at their discretion and independently from SBA.
The application entries must be submitted no later than May 22, 2017, at 5:00 PM (CT).
Link for More Information:
If you have questions related to the application process, contact to Sebastian Garzon at Sebastian.garzon-at-tamucc.edu or call 361-825-3519