The Friedrich Schiller University is offering State Scholarships, so called Landesgraduiertenstipendien, funded by the State of Thuringia. Scholarships may be extended up to a maximum funding period of three years.
Friedrich Schiller University Jena is a public research university located in Jena, Thuringia, Germany. The university was established in 1558 and is counted among the ten oldest universities in Germany.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing the doctoral programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded to study the subjects offered by the university.
Scholarship Award: The funding period of these scholarships is up to two years. Scholarships may be extended up to a maximum funding period of three years. Since 2017, the scholarship is 1350,- EUR per month and (if applicable) extra payments for child care.
Number of Scholarships: The number of scholarships granted varies from year to year – in recent years, it was about 10-12 each year. Each faculty can grant 1-2 scholarships.
Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility: The scholarship can be awarded to candidates who
- Proof their qualification for research with outstanding exam results
- Are accepted by at least one supervisor at Friedrich Schiller University
- Meet the admission requirements for a doctorate at FSU Jena and who prepare a doctorate at FSU.
The applications will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- University studies finished in an appropriate time
- Outstanding exam results that show the applicant’s special qualification for research
- A scientifically complex and demanding dissertation project, which can be finished within three years and is meant to be an important contribution to science.
Nationality: Citizens of Germany are eligible to apply.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have previous degree.
How to Apply: Applications are made online. Please add these documents to your online application (upload as pdf at the application website):
- CV (with photo)
- Exposé of your PhD project, containing the aims, their derivation and reasons, current re-search, methods, the schedule of your project and relevant literature (5-10 pages without the bibliography), Arial 11pt, line pitch 1.5
- Abstract of the written exam paper (if applicable) on 2 – 3 pages
- Scan of your university degree (with transcripts)
Further parts of your application:
- A confidential reference by your supervisor, containing information about the PhD project and the personal and scientific qualification of the applicant.
- Please ask your supervisor to submit the form directly to email@example.com.
- A confidential, formless reference by a second professor. Please ask the professor to submit the form directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is October 2, 2017.