SRAS’s Home and Abroad Scholarship program
The school of Russians and Asian studies (SRAS’s) Home and Abroad Scholarship program combines intensive language study with a generous scholarship and a resume-building internship. Designed for maximum flexibility, this program will help support and nurture student interests in fields as diverse as journalism, economics, history, and art.
The scholarship will apply $5000 to a semester of Russian as a Second Language in select SRAS locations. Students begin their intensive internship from home and continue it while abroad. Students who complete a full semester abroad can elect to continue their studies for an optional second semester, with up to an additional $5000 applied to any SRAS program.
- Applicants must possess native or near-native English skills and strong writing and research skills.
- Applicants will be well-organized, motivated, have his/her own laptop, and be able check email once per day.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and creatively.
- Applicants will be adventurous and eager to explore a new land and culture and to excite others about doing so as well.
How To Apply
- Choose a program track and location The chosen track and location will determine the nature of internship assignments you will receive.
- Apply using SRAS’s online system.
- Complete the internship portion of the application, uploading a cover letter, resume, and a letter of recommendation from a current or prior employer.
- Additionally submit two academic papers,One paper must be longer than 10 pages in length.
- Complete both TORFL tests under “testing.”
- Check for additional requirements in the track option information below under “The Experience.”
- Finalist Evaluation – Finalists chosen for the award will be given a trial period for the internship portion working on projects over the course of three weeks.
Apply by May 1
Finalist Evaluation Dates: May 6 – May 27
Program dates: June 1 – December 18
Internship from Home Begins: June 1
Program Abroad Begins: September 5
Apply by Oct 1
Finalist Evaluation Dates: Oct 7 – Oct 21
Program dates: Nov 1 – May 17
Internship from Home Begins: November 1
Program Abroad Begins: February 1
Students applying to Home and Abroad are not required to pay the $250 deposit until after acceptance. The deposit will be due two weeks after acceptance or before. All questions about the Home and Abroad program may be addressed to Josh Wilson.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CLICK HERE