The Soraya Amy Jackson Foundation (SAJF) Scholarship for Jamaica students
The SAJF or Soraya Amy Jackson Foundation, provides opportunities for Jamaican students to pursue secondary and post-secondary education in Jamaica. The SAJF is proud to offer their inaugural scholarship program with ten (10) scholarships valued at JMD$50,000 each. This will be used to cover the costs of tuition and living expenses for Jamaican students studying in Jamaica.
All scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis. This is based on grades, volunteer or charitable services, financial need and the ability to successfully complete the application forms and a required essay.
The Soraya Amy Jackson Foundation is a Connecticut, USA based non-for-profit that is funded in part by Milton and Tara Jackson in memory of their daughter – Soraya Amy Jackson and her fight against cancer.
The Corporation, via its various fundraising methods will establish and provide scholarships and grants for urban children and/or their caregivers, within the United States, or the Caribbean, primarily Jamaica whose lives have been affected by cancer and/or poverty.
To apply for a Soraya Amy Jackson Foundation scholarship, students must:
- Be a Jamaican citizen residing in Jamaica for the past five (5) years;
- Be a high school senior, high school graduate or first year college/university student;
- Minimum average GPA of 2.9:
- Show evidence of financial need and/or volunteer or charity work within their communities;
- Accepted or currently attend an accredited vocational/technical school, college, university or graduate school within Jamaica; and
- Enroll as a full-time student taking 10 or more semester credit hours.
Scholarships are limited to one per student. Applicants who do not receive a scholarship may reapply the following year as long as they continue to meet the eligibility requirements. Awards are not limited to one per household.
There are no age or gender restrictions and non-traditional students are encouraged to apply. Students who have experienced difficulty in attaining academic success earlier in life but who have demonstrated definite improvement are equally eligible. A minimum grade point average is required for application but it’s not the only defining requirement to win.
Applications are available from January 1 through March Annually . Download additional SAJF scholarship details and the application form HERE!