The South African Department of Science and Technology (DST) and the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology of the Islamic Republic of Iran (MSRT) are providing joint research fellowships to Iranian and South African researchers. These fellowships are awarded in the fields of Biotechnology and Oceanography.
The aim of the fellowship is to provide an opportunity for young researchers in the two countries to engage.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) is the intermediary agency between the policies and strategies of the Government of South Africa and South Africa’s research institutions.
Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue research programme.
Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded in the following fields:
Scholarship Award: These fellowships will cover the followings:
- South Africa: The total amount requested from the NRF should not exceed R250 000. Funding will be made available for a maximum of three years, to be paid in annual instalments (R83 000 per year) and exclusively for research activities commencing in 2018. Note that a commitment to both scientific and financial reporting on the project following its completion is an obligatory condition of funding. Please also note that the requested amounts do not necessarily imply that this amount will be awarded upon selection for funding.
- Iran: The total amount requested from Iranian MSRT should not exceed
Numbers of Scholarships: Not known
Scholarship can be taken in South Africa and Iran
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- South Africa: This call is open to working researchers residing in South Africa and affiliated with a recognised higher education or research institution such as a university, university of technology or science council. The South African applicants must be in possession of a PhD.
- Iran: Iranian applicants must be in possession of a Masters or PhD as a researcher or faculty at a university/research institute/science and technology Parks in Iran that are eligible to receive Grants-in-Aid for scientific research and technology. However, there are cases when a researcher not employed in a full-time position may be eligible. Such persons must be eligible to apply for a grant–in-aid and his/her affiliated institution must judge them able to implement the project and provide an appropriate research environment (e.g., laboratory, equipment, personnel) for it.
- An application must designate two Principal Investigators, one in South Africa and one in Iran, who will bear the main responsibility for the project, including its technical and administrative coordination as well as scientific and financial reporting. Commercial institutions and private educational institutions are not eligible to apply under this programme.
Nationality: South African and Iranian applicants are eligible for these fellowships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must be possession of a Masters or PhD.
English Language Requirement: Applicants must have proficiency in English.
How to Apply: The mode of applying is online.
- Applications must be submitted electronically to the NRF on the NRF Online Submission System
- Register/Login using your ID number and password.
- Go to “My Applications” and select “Create Application”.
- Select the call for which you are applying for: South Africa/Iran 2017 Joint Call for Proposals.
- Complete all compulsory sections and the non-compulsory sections (i.e. CV sections) applicable to you. Please attach the required documents in PDF format in the following order: CV of the partner, budget of partner and the signed page of the partner.
- Remember to submit your application on completion.
- Complete applications will go to the host institutions for verification before being forwarded to the NRF for further processing.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications that do not meet the eligibility criteria will not be considered.
- Please contact your research office or Designated Authority if you have any queries.
- Applications submitted outside the NRF Online Submission System will not be accepted. No hard copies will be accepted and will automatically be disqualified by the NRF. Only applications endorsed by the research office or its equivalent at higher education or research institutions will be accepted
Iran: Application forms for Iranian applicants may be downloaded from the MSRT website: www.techno.msrt.ir.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is July Annually