Applications are invited at the Madison Park Development Corporation for the MPDC’s 2017 Scholarship Programs named as Ralph D. Smith Community Service Scholarship, Danette Jones Scholarship, and Haynes Family Scholarship Fund. These scholarships were designed for full-time high school seniors, progressing normally toward graduation in Spring/Summer of 2017. The MPDC’s mission is to foster a vibrant, healthy Roxbury neighborhood that supports the well-being and advancement of the community. The Madison Park Development Corporation will provide total $31,000 in their three scholarships to winning candidates for education and related expenses.
Madison Park Development Corporation (MPDC) was founded in the midst of a crisis in the 1960s. It is a non-profit organization dedicated to the Roxbury community.The organization was first known as Lower Roxbury Community Corporation and was later renamed Madison Park Development Corporation in honor of a local park which was a victim of the demolition.
Applicants are required to be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. They consider you to be an eligible non-citizen if you are:
- A U.S. permanent resident with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
- A conditional permanent resident (I-551C)
- A holder of an Arrival-Departure (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any of the following designations: Refugee, Aslyum-Granted, Parolee (I-94) (confirms paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired)
- A Cuban-Haitian Entrant
- Ralph D. Smith Community Service Scholarship and Danette Jones Scholarship:
- Must be a resident of the greater Madison Park community as defined by the boundaries of lower Roxbury which include and are limited to a residence in the 02119, 02120, and zip code area.
- Enrolled full-time as a high school senior, anticipated to graduate in spring/summer of 2017 with plans to enter college no later than the fall following graduation.
- A strong commitment to pursuing a bachelor’s or associate’s degree
- Present involvement in community service and a strong commitment to continue community service throughout college.
- Haynes Family Scholarship Fund:
- City of Boston resident
- Current MODC youth leader entering an accredited two or four-year college or university, vocational training, or certificate program.
- Must have GED, Hi-Set or high school diploma.
How to Apply:
To apply for these scholarships, the applicant can submit an online application or download the application through the given links:
- Pdf- http://www.madison-park.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/MPDC-Scholarship-Application_2017.pdf
The applicant must submit all the following:
- Official High School Transcript
- Copy of the Federal Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the responding Student Aid Report (SAR)
- A copy of Acceptance Letter from the University, college, or vocational training program you plan to attend.
- A copy of Financial Aid award letter from the university or college you plan to attend, if available. If notyet available, please indicate when you expect the information to be available.
- Letter from your parent(s) or guardian(s) explaining how your college expenses will be met.
- Two letters of recommendation providing information on your academic ability, community service record, family background and the potential for success. The letters are required from the following sources:
- Current School Official (Principal, Guidance Counselor, or Teacher)
- Community Leader (Minister, Civic Leader, or Employer)
Each letter should be submitted with the application in a sealed envelope and the individual providing
the recommendation must put their signature on the seal of the envelope.
- Essays – You are required to submit one essay. Essays must be typed, double-spaced with one-inch The suggested font is Times New Roman and the font size 12. The essay of 500 – 1500 words must be on one of the following topics:
- Describe the role that community service has played in your life and in your education.
- Write a brief autobiography and describe key incidents in your life that have made you the person that you are.
- Discuss your professional and personal goals and the role that community service will play in your future.
- A copy for your records. Please be sure to make a copy of the completed scholarship packet (except, of course, the confidential recommendations) for your records!
- Provide either a 3 1/2” x 5” photo or wallet size picture of yourself.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- The Ralph D. Smith Community Service Scholarship award up to $5,000 per year for four year
- Danette Jones Scholarship awards up to $1,000 on a one-time basis
- Haynes Family Scholarship Fund awards up to $5,000 for enrollment in a certificate program, up to $10,000 for enrollment in a vocational training program, and up to $10,000 for enrollment in a two or four-year college program
The deadline for the 2017 application is June 15, 2017, at 5:00 PM.
Link for More Information:
If you have any question, contact to Yvette Jordan at yjordan-at-madison-park.org or 617-849-6327.