Last updated on December 11th, 2017 at 09:46 am
2017 Japan Foundation United Nations University JFUNU Scholarships for PhD students from developing countries in the field of Science in Sustainability, Development, and Peace at United Nations University ISP, Japan.
Application Deadline: 27th April 2017 | Offered annually? Yes
About Scholarship: The Japan Foundation for United Nations University (JFUNU) Scholarship is available for outstanding applicants from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance, and they will be considered as candidates for the award of the scholarship.
The programme addresses pressing global issues of sustainability, climate change, development, peace-building, and human rights through an innovative interdisciplinary approach that integrates the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities. The programme is intended for recent graduates, professionals, and practitioners, offering the unique opportunity to study at a global university within the framework of the United Nations. It provides students with the knowledge and skills to make important contributions towards solving global issues, whether through employment by UN agencies, other international organizations, governments, civil society, or the private sector.
Type: PhD Scholarship
Selection Criteria and Eligibility
- Applicants must be from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants who want to pursue a second PhD degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship.
Scholarship benefits: The JFUNU scholarship covers the full tuition fees, and provides a monthly allowance of 150,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months. Travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student.
Duration of sponsorship: For the maximum of 24 months
Eligible Countries: Citizens of developing countries listed in the latest OECD DAC list
To be taken at (country): United Nations University ISP Japan
Scholarship Application Method
‣ During admission selection process, outstanding applicants from developing countries with financial need will be automatically considered as candidates for the award of scholarships at UNU-IAS. Thus, no separate application is necessary.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 2018•04•27
STARTING DATE: 2018•09•01
APPLICATIONS DUE: 2018•04•27
For information on the specific courses offered as part of this degree programme, please visit the the curriculum information page on the UNU-IAS online learning website.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.