IBM PhD Fellowship Awards Program for International Students is currently available , and Nomination for this program commences on the 3rd week of September and are accepted for 5 weeks.Applicants are to ensure that all applications are submitted before the stated deadline and also eligibility criteria must be met as stated.
The IBM Ph.D. Fellowship Awards Program is an intensely competitive worldwide program, which honors exceptional Ph.D. students who have an interest in solving problems that are important to IBM and fundamental to innovation in many academic disciplines and areas of study. This includes pioneering work in: cognitive computing and augmented intelligence; quantum computing; blockchain; data-centric systems; advanced analytics; security; radical cloud innovation; next-generation silicon (and beyond); and brain-inspired devices and infrastructure.
Level: Fellowships are offered for pursuing PhD degree.
Field(s): Additionally, IBM Research is paying special attention to the following areas of focus for 2017-2018:
- Quantum Computing
IBM Research has made quantum computing available to anyone through a first-of-a-kind quantum computing platform delivered via the IBM Cloud. IBM scientists built a cloud-enabled quantum computing platform called IBM Quantum Experience that allows users to run algorithms and experiments on IBM’s five quantum bit (qubit) processor, work with the individual qubits, and explore tutorials and simulations around what might be possible with quantum computing. By giving hands-on access to IBM’s experimental quantum systems, the IBM Quantum Experience will make it easier for researchers and the scientific community to accelerate innovations in the quantum field, and help discover new applications for this technology.
- Cognitive Computing
The availability of large amounts of structured and unstructured data from business and public records, mobile devices, sensors and social media has brought the traditional artificial intelligence discipline to the era of Cognitive Computing. The active areas of research include natural language processing, assisted and automated machine learning, creation of knowledge representations and scalable querying techniques, multimedia analytics, contextual computing, recommendation and reasoning systems, a close collaboration between humans and machines on human terms, a rich platform and tools that support the creation and support of the cognitive applications, etc. IBM Research is closely tied to IBM Watson for taking the research technology to market.
- Cloud and distributed computing technology and solutions
Next generation computer hardware and software architecture will enable the systems and datacenters of the future, providing the foundation for our enterprise cloud computing capabilities.
Funded By: IBM University
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: The IBM PhD Fellowships are awarded worldwide. IBM Ph.D. Fellows are awarded a stipend for one academic year.
To be considered for IBM PhD Fellowship Awards ,
- Students must be nominated by a doctoral faculty member and enrolled full-time in a college or university Ph.D. program.
- The faculty member is encouraged to contact an IBM colleague prior to submitting the nomination to assure mutual interest.
- Students from Europe and Russia may be nominated in their first year of study in their doctoral program. Outside of Europe and Russia, students must have completed at least one year of study in their doctoral program at the time of their nomination.
- Students from U.S. embargoed countries are not eligible for the program.
- Award Recipients will be selected based on their overall potential for research excellence, the degree to which their technical interests align with those of IBM, and their academic progress to-date, as evidenced by publications and endorsements from their faculty advisor and department head.
- While students may accept other supplemental fellowships, to be eligible for the IBM Ph.D. Fellowship Award they may not accept a major award in addition to the IBM Ph.D. Fellowship.
- Selection Criteria for IBM PhD Fellowship Awards
- Award Recipients will be selected based on their overall potential for research excellence, the degree to which their technical interests align with those of IBM, and their progress to-date, as evidenced by publications and endorsements from their faculty advisor and department head.
- Preference will be given to students who have had an IBM internship, or have closely collaborated with technical or services people from IBM, or have co-authored papers, or have faculty research advisors who are close IBM collaborators.
- The final award recipients will be finalized in mid-February 2018.
- All nominees will receive an email shortly thereafter of their nomination status.
- A formal letter of congratulations will be sent to the award winners within a few weeks after the emails are sent.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Where can I get the forms for an IBM Ph.D. Fellowship nomination?
All nominations for the IBM Ph.D. Fellowship must be submitted by faculty electronically over the Web on a standardized form to facilitate an open and uniform competition. The nomination form will be available on the IBM Ph.D. Fellowship Program website from 3rd week of September to 5 weeks
Deadline: Nominations for the annual PhD Fellowship program begin the 3rd week of September and are accepted for 5 weeks. Notification of nominee status takes place in March of the following year.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: Nominations for the annual PhD Fellowship program begin the 3rd week of September and are accepted for 5 weeks. Notification of nominee status takes place in March of the following year.