Brief Description: You would like to expand your research on freshwaters or inland fisheries? You are highly motivated to put your excellent research ideas into action? You are keen on working abroad with an interdisciplinary team of scientists dedicated to advance freshwater ecology, inland fisheries science or related research areas? And you are looking for unique facilities to develop new approaches to tackle the most important research questions for the future of our freshwaters?
Then we cordially invite you to apply for a research visit at IGB. With Berlin being an attractive science location, you will find stimulating working conditions, excellent infrastructure and open-minded colleagues with a wide range of backgrounds in freshwater ecology and inland fisheries. The working language at IGB is English.
IGB provides excellent laboratory and field facilities for interdisciplinary research, large-scale experimental facilities as well as long-term research programmes. Fellowships are offered in three funding lines:
- Guest PhD Fellowships: for doctoral students currently carrying out a PhD project at another institution. These fellowships are meant to enable short-term research visits at IGB to PhD students enrolled in a PhD programme elsewhere; they do not cover a full three-year doctoral thesis.
- Postdoc Fellowships: full support for postdoctoral researchers to carry out full-time research at IGB for up to two years
- Senior Fellowships: for scientists who generally lead a research group at their home institution to obtain funding for an extended visit at IGB (e.g., during a sabbatical leave)
It is generally possible to split the granted number of months in more than one visiting period at IGB. Please discuss with your host if this option is suitable for your planned project.
Fields of Study:
- Ecosystem Research
- Experimental Limnology
- Biology and Ecology of Fishes
- Ecophysiology and Aquaculture
- Analytical Chemistry and Biogeochemistry
Offered annually? Bi-annual. Twice a year
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): Germany
Eligibility: The type of fellowship applicable to your career stage depends on your qualifications at the intended starting date. Applicants must hold a Master degree or equivalent (PhD fellowships) or a doctoral degree (postdocs and senior scientists) in one of the research areas at IGB. Before submitting an application, please contact your potential host and develop a research programme in accordance with your host group. The following links may help to identify the best potential host to pursue your ideas.
Selection: The selection of the fellowship awards is competitive. The following evaluation criteria apply:
- scientific record and potential to conduct the proposed research
- full support of the potential host contacted before
- quality and novelty of the research proposal
- complementary integration into ongoing research activities at IGB
The selection committee is composed of the director, the department heads, the speakers of IGB’s cross-cutting research domains and IGB’s equal opportunity commissioner. The director will notify the awardees no later than eight weeks after the application deadline. Research projects can start in agreement with the respective host at any time but no later than six months after notification. Candidates that have not been accepted can resubmit a revised application within one of the following application rounds. Consultation with the potential host is strongly recommended if this option is envisioned.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of fellowship: The fellowships provide resources to cover basic living expenses. They amount to 1,365 €/month at the doctoral level, 1,828 €/month at the postdoctoral level, and 2,600 €/month at the senior scientist level. In addition, some funds can be provided for consumables and travel allowances. The fellowships do not include health insurance, which is mandatory in Germany, nor contributions to pension schemes. Fellowships can normally only be granted if no other income is received during the fellowship period by employments elsewhere.
Duration of fellowship: Fellowships for PhD students, postdocs and senior scientists for 6-24 months.
How to Apply:
- CV, including a complete list of publications
- certificates of your Master degree or equivalent, or of your doctoral degree, respectively
- a letter indicating your research interests and experience (max. 1 page)
- your proposed research programme at IGB (max. 1 page), including potential research host(s) and time line
- two letters of recommendation to be (a) uploaded by the applicant to our application platform or (b) sent by the reference contact directly to Dr. Ina Severin (firstname.lastname@example.org, cc to email@example.com)
Please apply electronically in English by using our online application platform.
Visit Fellowship Webpage for details
Award Provider: The Leibniz-Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB)
Application Deadlines: Application deadlines are 1st June 2017 and 1st December 2017