Graduate Research Scholarships for UAE Nationals
The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) is pleased to announce the availability of Scholarships and Fellowships for UAE Nationals at the Master and PhD levels.
The purpose of the Graduate Research Scholarships and Fellowships program is to make available financial support packages, to faculty researchers that would enable them to recruit and support highly-talented, research-oriented graduate students who will engage in active research in areas of strategic importance to the University and the nation.
- Award Benefits
- Graduate Research Scholarships are granted to eligible students and provide a full package of benefits, which includes full tuition waiver, monthly stipend, housing or housing allowance, health insurance and research support.
- The housing benefit is provided to UAE national students if they reside outside the Al Ain vicinity.
- Health insurance is provided to UAE national students if needed.
- Research support funds are provided to the faculty for supporting the student’s research.
- Award recipients who take official leave of absence from their study will have their stipend payments and any applicable housing allowance suspended for the duration of the leave period, and the period of their Scholarship award will be extended accordingly.
Summary of benefits:
- Tuition Waiver: Yes
- At the Master level: AED 5,000/month
- At the PhD Level: AED 10,000/month
- For single: Hostel or AED 1,500/month
- For family: Apartment or AED 3,000/month
- Health Insurance: Yes, with dependents, if applicable
- Research Support: Yes.
- Student Eligibility RequirementsThe program is designed to recruit and support primarily PhD students. However, talented undergraduate Emirati students at UAEU may be recruited to pursue graduate studies and can be awarded scholarships starting at the Master’s level. Applicants for Graduate Research Scholarships must meet the following criteria:
- General requirements:
- Student must enroll full-time in a minimum of 9 graduate credits per semester.
- Student must not be financially sponsored by any other organization or hold any active employment.
- At the Master’s level:
- Student must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher in the Bachelor’s degree from UAEU.
- Student must be admitted into a Master’s program with a research thesis that leads to a PhD program at UAEU.
- Student must commit to pursue both of the Master’s and PhD degrees consecutively.
- Student must have and maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher at the Master’s level.
- At the PhD level:
- Student must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher in the Master’s degree.
- Student must have and maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher at the PhD level.
- General requirements:
- Duration of Awards
- Scholarships are awarded for a maximum period of 4 years at the PhD level, and a maximum period of 2 years at the Master’s level. Therefore, an award to sponsor a student through the Master and PhD degrees may be for a maximum period of 6 years.
- A faculty member may request only one semester extension for a Scholarship with documented justification. The request must be made during the first month of the student’s last semester of the award term.
- A Scholarship award is valid for its duration provided the student
- Continues to meet the eligibility criteria every semester and
- Receives very good performance appraisal from his/her research supervisor based on an evaluation that the supervisor completes of the student’s research work and submits it to the College of Graduate Studies at the end of each semester.
- If the recipient of an award becomes ineligible by failing to meet any of the aforementioned requirements, he/she will forfeit the award automatically and will be notified by the College of Graduate Studies accordingly.
- Duties and Expectations
- Each Scholarship recipient must devote a minimum of 20 hours per week throughout the year to work as a research assistant with his/her faculty supervisor.
- Each Scholarship recipient is required to publish two research papers in refereed, indexed journals in the student’s discipline area of research
- Each Scholarship recipient is required to publish two research papers in refereed, indexed journals in the student’s discipline area of research.
- Scholarship recipients are not permitted to engage in any other work assignment or duties at UAEU or elsewhere during the term of their award.
- All Scholarship recipients are expected to participate in activities that empower their research training at the college and university levels, when possible and in coordination with their supervisors. Furthermore, students are expected to present and publish their research outcomes under the guidance of their supervisors.
- Availability of OpportunitiesOpportunities for Scholarships are normally available at the time of the student’s admission into a graduate program. The number of awards made each year may vary depending on the availability of funds.
To apply, complete and submit an application (link) with all required documents.
Deadline: contact the scholarship provider here