Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Los Angeles, CA, USA; Seattle, WA, USA; Mountain View, CA, USA; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Chicago, IL, USA; Kirkland, WA, USA
This internship is provided in the following offices: Mountain View (CA), Sunnyvale (CA), Ann Arbor (MI), Boulder (CO), Cambridge (MA), Chapel Hill (NC), Chicago (IL), Kirkland (WA), Los Angeles (CA), New York (NY), Portland (OR), Pittsburgh (PA), Seattle (WA), San Bruno (CA), San Francisco (CA), Washington DC
Applications will be accepted until June 16, 2017 at 11:59pm PT.
Join us for a unique 12-14 week paid internship that offers personal and professional development, executive speaker series, and community-building. This program will give you an opportunity to work on complex computer science solutions, develop scalable, distributed software systems and also collaborate on multitudes of smaller projects that have universal appeal – which requires research, awareness, interactivity, and asking questions.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. From AdWords to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another. We focus on being a collaborative, global organization consisting of engineers who are ready to tackle some of technology’s greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. As a Software Engineering Intern, you will work on our core products and services as well as those who support critical functions of our engineering operations. Depending on your background and experience, you will be working in one of the following areas:
Product and Systems Development
Whether it’s finding new and innovative ways to advance search quality, building computing platform and networking technologies, automating the indexing of videos, or continuing to refine and scale complex auction systems (just to name a few), you will be developing solutions to some of the most challenging technical problems out there. You will research, conceive and develop software applications to extend and improve on Google’s product offerings and collaborate on scalability issues involving access to massive amounts of data and information. Examples of specialist domains: UI development with AJAX and similar technologies, security, embedded systems and mobile apps (Android), developer tools (IDEs, large-scale build systems, compilers).
As a Software Engineer in the Engineering Productivity organization, you’ll use your software design, analysis and programming skills to create innovative automated test systems. The test team undertakes a broad range of challenges on a daily basis, designing and building intelligent systems that can explore various use cases and scenarios for distributed computing infrastructure. Just imagine trying to design and build an automated testing system for something that’s never been done before.
Software Engineers working in Site Reliability are involved in every facet of Google’s production and work on the cutting edge of cloud-based computing. As a member of this team you are in the thick of everything involved with keeping Google running, from code-level troubleshooting of traffic anomalies to maintenance of our most cutting-edge services; from monitoring and alerts to building new automation infrastructure. Software engineers on this team love to create robust and scalable software that scale to tens of millions of users. You will handle challenging, novel situations every day, and work with just about every other engineering and operations team to provide services and applications that are quintessentially Google – fast, reliable and accessible to all.
- Specific responsibilities vary by project area. General responsibilities include:
- Create and support a productive and innovative team. This includes working with peers, managers, and teams.
- Develop scripts to automate routine tasks.
- Analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution to effectively solve problems.
- Apply knowledge gained in computer science courses to real world problems.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology’s greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From AdWords to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Currently enrolled in a full time Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field, returning to the program after completion of the internship.
- Completed projects (inside or outside of school) or classes focused on Data Structures and Algorithms resulting in the ability to select and implement an algorithm, using appropriate data structures to efficiently solve a problem; interpreting algorithms and contributing ideas to their development.
- Ability to go beyond basic linear coding and use language features when necessary (e.g., data structures, branching, function-calls, and conditionals).
- Expected graduation date in 2018.
- Ability to manipulate code to improve system availability and latency.
- Ability to optimize code for stability, functionality and scalability for a segment of Google’s infrastructure, service area, or within a technology domain (e.g., crawling, search, troubleshooting).
- Skill in isolating problems to a database subsystem, referring to documentation when necessary.
Application Deadline:June 16, 2017 at 11:59pm PT.
For More Information: