Ghent University is a top 100 university and one of the major universities in Belgium. Our 11 faculties offer a wide range of courses and conduct in-depth research in both exact and social sciences. Ghent University aims to encourage its students to adopt a critical approach within a creative, development-oriented educational and research environment.
Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue PhD programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the field of Precision Agriculture.
The following 5 PhD projects are available under this project:
- Site specific fertilisation.
- Site specific manure injection.
- Site specific pesticide applications.
- Site specific soil compaction management.
- Site specific seed rate management.
Scholarship Award: University offer fully funded PhD positions starting between 1st November 2017 and 2nd January 2018. We offer approx. €23787 per year (€1982 per month) based on a full working week (38 hours).
- Candidates will have the opportunity to work within a stimulating research environment within the SiTeMan Group with interdisciplinary team comprising of agricultural engineers, soil scientists, agronomists and data mining experts, where many international collaborations are foreseen.
Number of Scholarships: Five scholarships will be awarded.
Scholarship can be taken in Belgium
Eligibility: The candidate should fulfill the following requirements:
- Have or will soon have a MSc degree in Agriculture Engineering, Biosystems Engineering, Agronomy, Mechatronics Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
- Should have knowledge in the use of basic engineering software and modelling languages, such as, MATLAB Toolbox, LabVIEW, DaisyLab, AutoCAD, or C++…..
- Desirable to have knowledge in sensing technologies, modelling and control theory.
- Good contextual understanding of agricultural systems, precision agriculture and the ability to work in the field with agriculture machinery.
- The candidate should have a high level of proficiency in English sufficient to communicate effectively with colleagues and write papers and reports.
- Good practical problem solver / Ability to find appropriate solutions to academic and technical problems.
- Ability to work as a member of a team within a dynamic research group.
Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have MSc in Agriculture Engineering, Biosystems Engineering, Agronomy, Mechatronics Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
English language Requirements: The candidate should have a high level of proficiency in English sufficient to communicate effectively with colleagues and write papers and reports.
How to Apply: Applications should be submitted by not latter that 30th September, 2017, enclosing the following documents:
- Cover letter outlining your motivation, research and teaching experience.
- Detailed CV and publication record.
- Your MSc degree or an interim document if you are still finishing your MSc.
- A verified transcript of your MSc and BSc degrees.
- Indicate your interest in the above 5 PhD projects.
- Two reference letters from academic members.
Applications should be submitted via email with subject ‘PhD scholarships under Odysseus project’ to project promoter Prof. Abdul Mouazen (E-mail: abdul.mouazen-at-ugent.be).
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is September 30, 2017.