Applications for the Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowship Program are currently being accepted. To be eligible, the pplicants must have advanced to candidacy by the time of the fellowship start date and should expect to complete their dissertations during the fellowship period. The closing date of application is October 2, 2017.
Getty Predoctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships are intended for emerging scholars to complete work on projects related to the Getty Research Institute’s annual research theme. Recipients are in residence at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, where they pursue research projects, complete their dissertations, or expand dissertation for publication. Fellows make use of the Getty collections, join in a weekly meeting devoted to the annual theme, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
Value and Tenure
- Getty Predoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $25,000.
- Getty Postdoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $30,000.
- Both fellowships also provide a workspace at the Getty Research Institute or the Getty Villa, an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex, airfare to and from Los Angeles, and makes healthcare options available.
Level and Area of Studies
Pre and Posdoctoral program in any field.
Place of Study
In the United States of America.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Pre and Postdoctoral fellowships are welcome from scholars of all nationalities.
- Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships.
- Applicants must have advanced to candidacy by the time of the fellowship start date and should expect to complete their dissertations during the fellowship period.
- To be eligible to apply for the 2018-2019 scholar year, Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants should not have received their degree earlier than 2013.
- Successful Predoctoral Fellowship applicants who are awarded their degree after the application deadline but before the fellowship begins, or who receive their doctorate while in residence, automatically become Postdoctoral Fellows.
There is no nationality restriction.
Please apply this scholarship through the link below.
5:00 p.m. (PDT) on October 2, 2017.