Applications are invited at the Council of Europe for the 2017 World Forum for Democracy. The sixth edition of the World Forum for Democracy will engage with decision-makers, young people and opinion-formers to review novel initiatives and approaches which can enhance democratic practices and help parties and media, but also other political actors, to re-connect to citizens, make informed choices and function optimally in 21st century democracy.
The core content of the Forum will consist of discussions about successful initiatives and actions, which have real-life initiatives as a starting point. General guiding principles will then be drawn to encourage and support future policy responses and field action. The draft concept note about the 2017 edition of the World Forum for Democracy can be found here. In this context, the Youth Department will invite 60 young people to participate and engage with decision-makers and opinion-formers in a reflection on the question of populism: its various forms as well as real stories.
Cost and Benefits
Travel expenses and visa costs will be reimbursed upon presentation of the relevant receipts, according to the rules of the Council of Europe. Only the participants who attend the entire event (pre-Forum meeting and World Forum) can be reimbursed.
Board and lodging are provided and paid for by the Council of Europe (arrival on Sunday 5th November and departure on Saturday 11th November). Participants will be accommodated at the European Youth Centre in Strasbourg (EYCS).
Young people who have been involved either through youth organisations, political parties, political movements or other projects in initiatives related to the question of populism are invited to apply.
In order to be selected and participate in the World Forum 2017, youth applicants should:
- Be aged 16-30 (exceptions can be made in special cases);
- Be resident in Europe; 15 places will be made available for participants from other regions outside the European continent;
- Be able to communicate and work in English;
- Be actively involved in civil society democracy initiatives;
- Be motivated to contribute to developing new ideas on youth and democracy;
- Be ready to share own challenges faced in relation to populism and its effects on society;
- Be ready to adopt a solution-oriented approach by bringing in new ideas and visions on the question of populism;
- Be available to participate fully in the World Forum for Democracy and the preparation process beforehand.
The youth representatives will be chosen on the basis of these criteria and the video to be submitted. The Council of Europe welcomes applications from all candidates who fulfil the above mentioned profile, irrespective of gender, disability, marital or parental status, racial, ethnic or social origin, colour, religion, belief or sexual orientation.
All candidates must apply in 2 parts:
- An online application form should be completed via this link: http://youthapplications.coe.int/Application-forms
- A short 1 minute video should be posted on YouTube, with the link attached to the online application form (see instructions below).
The application form must be submitted on-line before Tuesday, 11 July 2017 at CET 13:00 (1 p.m.), together with a support letter from your NGO/sending organization if this is appropriate.
A few limited places will allow for participants from the previous editions of the World Forum to participate.
Deadline: July 11, 2017
For more information, visit World Forum for Democracy.