Applications are currently been accepted for the Fully funded U.S. Department of State’s Office of Citizen Exchanges Journalism program 2018,eligible persons are welcome to apply for this program.
The program will:
– Explore best practices in promoting and ensuring press freedom and independence
– Examine the complex and multidimensional connections between the media, democracy, good governance, and peaceful development
– Evaluate the role of a free and independent media in keeping governments accountable and preventing corruption
– Analyze media strategies for developing unbiased political reporting
– Assess methods for countering fake news, particularly in the age of digital and social media
The U.S. based program can include an orientation and overview of the issues, professional fellowship placements, training workshops, learning labs, and participation in relevant industry events. Fellowship placements will be in media companies, and non-profit organizations or university institutes across the United States.
Type: Exchange program
To be Taken in: USA
- A total of 14 participants will be selected through an open competition process to come to the United States for an 18-day long professional exchange program, scheduled from March 18-April 4, 2018.
- Participants should work and reside in one of the following countries: Lesotho, Malawi, South Africa, Swaziland, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Selection will be based on the overall quality of the candidates, as well as their willingness and preparedness to contribute to the program. Candidates from other countries should not apply.
- Candidates for the program should be journalists and media managers as well as representatives of civil society who use investigative journalism tools to promote government accountability and combat corruption.
The programs will be conducted in English.
Additional selection criteria include:
• English language competency
• Minimum two years professional experience in a relevant field
• Stated commitment to free and fair information flow
• Ability to disseminate information to a wide and diverse audience
• No travel within the United States since April 2015 (preferred)
- Accommodation in the United States will consist of double-person shared hotel rooms.
- A small stipend will be provided to participants while in the U.S. to cover basic living expenses.
- The cost of international and domestic travel, program-related ground transportation, cultural activities, and all other programmatic and logistical arrangements will be covered as part of the exchange program.
- The application must be completed entirely in English.
- The deadline for submitting the application is December 10, 2017.
- Applications will be reviewed as they arrive.
- As a precondition for the application to be considered, applicants must join the program’s existing communication network https://www.facebook.com/groups/mediaafricanetwork/
Application Deadline: December 10th 2017
For More Information: