The Yenching Academy provides a generous postgraduate scholarship that covers tuition fees, a travel stipend for one round-trip journey between each Scholar’s base city and Beijing, accommodations, and living costs on Peking University’s .
Institution: Peking University
- Enrolled international students spend 12 months in residence at the Yenching Academy,with the possibility to extend for a second year.
- For students from China (including Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan), the program lasts 24 months. Coursework is completed during the fall and spring semesters, and it is supplemented by additional study during the summer.
- Upon completion of their year in residence, students have up to one more year to finalize projects and defend their thesis.
- During this period, students in good academic standing may apply for a limited number of Teaching, Research, or Administrative Assistantships.
- In addition, Dean’s Research Grants will be awarded on a bi-annual basis to help fund selected research projects related to China Studies.
Applicants should have:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any field, awarded no later than August 31 of the year in which they wish to enroll;
- An outstanding academic record;
- Strong interest in interdisciplinary study of China;
- A record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement and social responsibility;
- Leadership potential;
- English proficiency.
Successful applicants will demonstrate how the Yenching Academy program is relevant and valuable for their career plans.
Preference is given to candidates age 25 or younger as of August 31 of the year they wish to enroll. For students from countries with mandatory military service, the age preference is 27 years old or younger
Candidates may apply through Yenching Academy’s online application portal. Please note that those from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan will also need to apply through the Peking University Graduate Admissions website.
Each applicant will create an account on the Yenching Academy admissions portal and submit the following materials in English:
- Completed online application form;
- Personal statement (750 words or less);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Official transcript(s);*
- Diploma(s) or Certificate(s) of Enrollment;*
- Two letters of recommendation;
- International English proficiency test score (at least IELTS 7/TOEFL 100/Cambridge 180/CEFR C1).
International candidates and those from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan may begin applying August 15, 2017. There are two deadlines, associated with candidates’ universities:
- Dec. 11, 2017: Universities in the United States and Canada;
- Jan. 15, 2018: Universities in all other countries.
Applicants must submit all materials before 12:00 noon (Beijing time) on the relevant deadlines.
Application Deadline: Jan. 15, 2018
For More Information: