Firelight Media Filmmaking Company is inviting applications from filmmakers for the Firelight Doc Lab Fellowship. Only the directors of the film and emerging documentary filmmaker (working on first or second feature length documentary) are eligible to apply. The fellowship is designed to help filmmakers advance their projects even in the absence of major funding. The Next Step Fund will provide up to $25,000 to five to seven filmmakers. Funded activities may include travel, shooting, editing, and other mid to completion phase activities.
Firelight Media is a non-profit filmmaking company founded by filmmaker Stanley Nelson and Marcia Smith, located in New York City. In 2008, Firelight Media transitioned to focusing on supporting emerging filmmakers, while Firelight Films was launched as the new for-profit documentary production company led by Stanley Nelson.
Applicants for the fellowship must meet each of the following requirements:
- Only the director of the film is eligible to apply and enter the program. They do occasionally accept co-directors into the program given that they both meet the requirements.
- Filmmaker must come from a diverse/underrepresented background.
- The project must be a long-form/feature-length documentary; the lab does not accept short documentaries, series, or narratives of any kind.
- Film must be a work-in-progress and in production or post-production. We do not accept completed films.
- Filmmaker must be an emerging documentary filmmaker (working on first or second feature length documentary).
- Filmmaker cannot be in school or submit a student film to the lab.
- Filmmaker must be based in the United States.
- Project must have at least some form of funding outside of personal funding.
How to Apply:
You must go through the given link to be applying for the fellowship program: http://firelightmedia.tv/make/#_apply
Financial Aid and Award Money:
The fellowship will provide up to $25,000 in production and post-production funding to five to seven filmmakers who are already in the Producers’ Lab to complete innovative documentary films that tell stories about people, places, and issues that are underrepresented in the mainstream.
The deadline for submissions is July 14, 2017, and results will be shared early September 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact info-at-firelightmedia.org