The Finland Government is inviting applications from eligible international students for scholarship opport are offered for a period of 3-9 months for Doctoral level studies and research at Finnish universities or public research institutes.
CIMO will inform both successful and unsuccessful candidates of the results by June annually.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: The Finland Government scholarships are based mainly on cultural agreements or similar arrangements between Finland and the following countries:
- Republic of Korea
To be taken at (country): Finland
About the Award: The Finland Government Scholarship Pool programme is open to young researchers from all academic fields. The scholarship cannot be applied for Master’s level studies or post-Doctoral studies/research. The Finnish Government Scholarship Pool programme application form is not an application for a study/research placement. It is merely an application for funding.
Type: Doctoral Scholarship
Eligibility: In order to be an eligible applicant for the Finland Government scholarships, candidate must first successfully apply for a study/research placement at a Finnish university/public research institute – in other words, you must be at least provisionally accepted either as a visiting Doctoral-level student/researcher, or as a full-time Doctoral degree student. Please see section Doctoral Admissions for information on how to apply for a Doctoral-level study or research placement in Finland.
To be eligible, the applicant must:
- have established contact with the Finnish receiving institution before applying (see section ‘Doctoral Admissions’)
- have a letter of invitation from the academic supervisor in Finland; the invitation should also explain the commitment of the host institution to the project
- have earned a Master’s-level degree before applying
- intend to pursue post-Master’s level studies as a visiting student, participate in a research project or teach at a university or public research institute in Finland; priority will be given to doctoral studies
- not have spent already more than one year at a Finnish higher education institution immediately before the intended scholarship period in Finland
- be able to give proof of sufficient skills in speaking and writing the language needed in study/research*
- be a national of one of the eligible countries listed above
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Scholarship:
Duration of Scholarship:
How to Apply: Applications for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool funding should be made to the appropriate authority in the applicant’s country. The scholarship authorities in each country are invited to present applications for up to 10 candidates for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool. For information on the appropriate authority in your country, please see the listing of countries and authorities to contact.
You can download the 2017-2018 application form using the below link.
Please save the application form on your own computer before completing it. The form should be typed throughout. To move between different fields, use the “Tab” key. Relevant boxes can be ticked by using the “Space” key or the left-hand mouse button. After completing the form, please print and sign it.
If needed, the application form can also be obtained from the national scholarship authorities or directly from CIMO.
Documents required for an application:
- a completed and signed application form
- curriculum vitae
- copies of latest diplomas*
- two letters of recommendation
- study/research plan (2-5 pages, including a statement of motivation, goals, work plan, work method, expected results)
- invitation/expression of interest and motivation for cooperation from the hosting academic supervisor in Finland
- language certificate (Finnish, Swedish or English) or other indication of sufficient language skills – please see above, in the section ‘Eligibility criteria’
*) copies of original diplomas accompanied with translations into English, Finnish or Swedish – if the original certificates are not in these languages. Preferably official translations. Please do not send in any originals as CIMO will not return any application documents.
Application Deadline: 15th February, 2017.
Award Provider: Government of Finland