SHARE TO HELP SOMEONE WIN A SCHOLARSHIP TODAY!
Davis-Putter Scholarship for Graduate and Undergraduate Students 2017-2018
The Marian Davis Scholarship Fund provide need-based grants to students who are able to do academic work at the college level or are enrolled in a trade or technical program. The scholarship is available to both graduate and undergraduate students who are actively working for peace and justice and planning to enroll in an accredited school. The fund looks at the applicant’s contribution to social justice, the ability to perform academically, and relevance of educational program, as well as their financial need. Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund provides$10,000 per year. Grants may be used in the year they are awarded.
The Fund was founded in 1961 as the Marian Davis Scholarship Fund, a memorial to a teacher and political activist who died of breast cancer in 1960.
- Applicant must be active in movements for progressive social justice
- Applicant must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program at the post-secondary level
- Applicant must have financial need
- These need-based scholarships are awarded to students who are able to do academic work at the college or university level or are enrolled in a trade or technical program and who are active in the progressive movement.
- Recent grantees have been active in the struggle against racism, sexism, homophobia and other forms of oppression, building the movement for economic justice, and creating peace through international anti-imperialist solidarity.
- Applicants must have participated in activities in the US, and there is a strong preference for applicants who plan on working in this country
How to Apply:
The interested candidates may sign-up or register for the scholarship, through the given link:
- Transcripts: All applicants are required to submit transcripts for all prior periods of enrollment at any program, college or university, including your current institution
- Applicant’s Personal Statement: The applicant’s statement is a required and vital part of the application. This statement should be no more than approximately 1000 words
- Letters of Recommendation: Each applicant must submit letters of recommendation from two individuals who know of the applicant’s progressive activities
- Financial Information: In addition to completing the information requested in the application, the applicant must upload a copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR)
- Applicant’s Financial Need: Provide your living expenses for 12 months, even if you will be attending school for only part of that period
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Early recipients worked for civil rights, against McCarthyism and for peace in Vietnam.
- The maximum grant available from the Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund is $10,000 per year (from July 1 through June 30).
- Grants are disbursed to cover each separate semester, quarter or term during which the grantee is attending school.
- Grants must be used in the year they are awarded and cannot be deferred or carried over. Recipients must reapply each year support is sought.
The online applications must be submitted no later than April 1, 2017. Applicants will be informed of decisions in July.
Link for More Information: