DAAD Short Term Research Grants Program
The German Academic Exchange Service or DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) is delighted to announce the Short-Term Research Grants. These Grants are available to highly qualified candidates who have completed a Master’s degree or Diploma or in exceptional cases a Bachelor’s degree at the latest by the time they begin their grant supported research or those who have already completed a Ph.D. (postdocs). The DAAD gives young people at home and abroad the opportunity to gain international study and research experience. DAAD will provide monthly stipends are approximately EUR 750 for graduate students and EUR 1,000 for doctoral students and postdocs. DAAD will cover health insurance and provide a flat rate subsidy for travel costs.
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is the largest funding organization in the world supporting the international exchange of students and scholars. Since it was founded in 1925, more than 1.5 million scholars in Germany and abroad have received DAAD funding. DAAD is a private, federally funded and state-funded, self-governing national agency of the institutions of higher education in Germany, representing 365 German higher education institutions.
READ ALSO: DAAD Doctoral Scholarships for Students from Developing Countries at University of Münster 2018/2019 – Germany
- US or Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
- Foreign nationals who live in the USA or in Canada
- Must have been living in the US/Canada for a minimum of one year and
- Have their current residence in the US/Canada by the time of the application deadline.
- All other foreign nationals may need to apply via a different DAAD office.
- For doctoral students enrolled in a program in the US/Canada: No more than 3 years should have passed (at the time of application) since receiving ABD status
- For postdocs: No more than 4 years should have passed at the time of application deadline since gaining their doctorate
- In addition, all applicants:
- Must not have been living in Germany for more than 15 consecutive months by the time of the application deadline, and
- If you are a German national, you must have been residing in the US/Canada for 6 continuous years at the time of the application deadline. Call their office to make sure you are eligible.
How to Apply:
- To apply, the applicant (Graduates, PhD-Students, and Postdocs) can submit online application through the given link: https://portal.daad.de/sap/bc/bsp/sap/z_set_cookie/setcookie.htm?fund_ar=stv&langb=402&id=57378443&persk=5B&lziel=995&pcopies=001
- Language Evaluation Form: https://www.daad.org/files/2016/09/Sprachnachweis_Formular.pdf
- Full Resume/curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- List of publications (max. 5 pages), if applicable
- Extensive and detailed description of the research proposal which has been discussed with the academic adviser and a description of previous research work (max. 5 pages)
- Schedule of planned research work
- Letter confirming supervision by an academic adviser in Germany, which refers to the applicant’s proposal and confirms that the host institute will provide a workplace
- University Degree Certificate(s), if applicable (e.g. Bachelor or Master)
- Transcripts of ALL university studies; make sure that individual grades are listed as well as the explanations of the grading system (which are usually on the back).
- Doctoral level transcripts (if applicable)
- Master’s level (or JD) transcripts (if applicable)
- Undergraduate transcripts
- DAAD language evaluation form (Sprachnachweis)
- Disregard the following requirement on head office’s website:
- Other documents you think might be of relevance to your application (e.g. certificates of employment, proof of placements).
- Proof of admission to a doctoral program at the home university insofar as the applicant intends to take a doctoral degree there.
Mail the reference form signed by your professor and in a sealed envelope to
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
Short-Term Research Grant
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
Additionally, let your professor email a scan the reference form to short-term-at-daad.org
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Monthly stipends are approximately
- EUR 750 for graduate students
- EUR 1,000 for doctoral students and postdocs.
- DAAD will cover health insurance and provide a flat rate subsidy for travel costs.
- In addition, limited funds are available for a rent subsidy and family allowance.
- Short-Term Research Grants are awarded for periods of 1-6 months.
Applications for short-term research grants are accepted twice annually, usually in November and May. The deadline is November 4th, 2017, at 11 PM Central European Time (5 PM EST/4PM CST/3PM MTN/2PM PST).
Link for More Information: