Last updated on March 19th, 2018 at 01:16 pm
Applications are currently been accepted for the DAAD-CARTA PhD Scholarships for Eastern African Scholars 2018, eligible scholars who seek to secure this scholarship are encouraged to hurry and apply before the program deadline.
About the Award:
The long-term impacts of the scholarships are: strengthening teaching and research at higher education institutions in Eastern Africa region, solving development issues in the region and strengthening universities, research institutes and research networks in Eastern Africa, and contributing to the establishment of regional networks between these institutions. This is in line with CARTA’s objective of producing a critical mass of high-quality graduates trained to address complex issues surrounding health and development in Africa, retain them in the region, and provide them a vibrant intellectual environment as well as viable and challenging research and growth opportunities.
Eastern African countries
- Applicants must be CARTA fellows in the Eastern Africa region.
- Applications are only open to those who are in the very early stages of the PhD programme.
- They must demonstrate strong commitment to research capacity building at their institutions as well as potential for research leadership.
- The last degree of the applicant must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application.
- The applicant must be a citizen of a country in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Value of Scholarship:
- Stipends covering the cost of living including accommodation
- Fees including cost of research and academic monitoring, tutorial and other support, university registration and tuition fees
- Health insurance
- Optional research stay in German for up to six months
How to Apply: Applicants must submit the following documents:
- A 10-15 page PhD proposal related to health and development with a detailed work plan
- Abstract of the proposal on one page
- Signed CV (please use Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- Certified copies of all university degrees and transcripts
- Admission letter or an official letter assuring admission. The letter should include a fee structure
- Recommendation letter by head of department indicating that you are a staff member and how you will be integrated into the staff development agenda of the university.
The email should have on the subject line: Application for 2018 DAAD Scholarship.
CARTA will communicate to pre-selected candidates to log into the DAAD portal https://portal.daad.de/irj/portal and register themselves and submit an application.
The deadline for this program has passed but we encourage that you continue checking this site for updates on this program
Award Provider: DAAD