Who can apply?
- Aged 15 – 29 years old
- National of Commonwealth country
- Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- One poem per person
- Team submissions are permissible but restricted to teams of 3.
- 15 – 17 years old
- 18+ years old
- Poem must include a title and must not exceed 30 lines in length (not including the title)
- Poems cannot exceed/cannot be longer than 400 words
- Entries must be based on the theme
- Poems must be the original work of the applicant.
- Entries must not have been published, published on a website or featured in as a winner in another competition before the 31st May 2017.
- Entries must be written in English
- Handwritten entries will not be accepted.
Guidelines for submission
- For the hearing-impaired: Submissions can be made in written form or sign language that is video recorded. If submission is by video recording in sign language, then it must be accompanied by an interpreter (who does not count as a team member) doing a voice-over. Alternatively the video must have subtitles.
- For the visually-impaired: Submissions can be made in braille level 2 (English) or audio and video recordings of the reading of the poetry.
- All entries will be judged anonymously so the following information must be provided with submission email: Name of Author(s), Date of birth, Citizenship and Title of the poem on a separate sheet if posted or emailed.
- Submission can be made by post to: Commonwealth Youth Council, Commonwealth Secretariat, FAO: Lawrence Muli, Room E101, Youth Division, Marlborough House, Pall Mall, St. James’s, London SW1Y 5HX
- Submission can be made by email to: commonwealthyouthcouncilcyc-at-
The deadline for the poetry competition is the May 31, 2017 at 1700 GMT.