UBC Visiting Scholarships for Students in India and Commonwealth Countries in Africa 2017[FULLY FUNDED]-APPLY
University of British Columbia, Faculty of Forestry is offering scholarships to outstanding students from India and Commonwealth countries in Africa for postgraduate study for some months. During this time, visiting scholars engage in seminars and develop skills relevant to their current research work.
Application Deadline: 9th January, 2017
Eligible Countries: India and Commonwealth Countries in Africa
To be taken at (country): Canada
Eligible Field of Study: Forestry and other related fields
About the Award: The Canadian Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Scholarships (www.queenelizabethscholars.ca) aim to activate a dynamic community of young global leaders across the Commonwealth to create lasting impacts at both home and abroad through inter-cultural exchanges encompassing international education, discovery and inquiry, and professional experiences.
Eligibility: Applicants must currently be conducting forestry research at a university in India or Commonwealth countries in Africa (preferably, at one of our partner institutions) and identify a UBC faculty member who is willing to mentor them during their visit to UBC.
To be eligible, applicants must be:
- 35 years of age or under at the time of application
- Proficient in English
- Currently enrolled as a master’s or Ph.D. student in India or Commonwealth countries in Africa
- Citizens of a Commonwealth country (but not Canadian). Anyone who has applied for Canadian citizenship or permanent residency is not eligible.
- Scholars must agree to return to their home country after the study visit and sign a form to this effect as part of their acceptance of the award.
- Scholars must participate in community engagement activities in Canada.
Selection Criteria: Eligible applications will be evaluated based on:
- the significance of proposed visit to applicant’s research- either in the form of course work, or research experience, or both
- the alignment of proposed research with the QES program goals degree of support from current supervisor
- the fit between research program of proposed UBC faculty member and the applicant’s proposed research
- the commitment from proposed UBC faculty member for mentoring the applicant’s research activities.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Scholarship: The UBC faculty mentor should have an active research program that is well-aligned with the applicant’s research. The scholarship covers airfare (max C$2,100) and living expenses (C$1,500 month x 4 months).
Duration of Scholarship: The deadlines is January 9, 2017 (for a start date between May 2017 to August 2017).
How to Apply: To apply, please send:
- Cover letter outlining your motivation to apply for the visiting scholarship, proposed activities while at UBC, and how you will contribute to community engagement activities in Canada
- One-page summary of your current or planned research work
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of support from current supervisor at home institution, outlining your current research, intellectual preparedness, and how a visiting scholarship will contribute to your work
- Letter of support from a UBC faculty member outlining a fit between their current research and applicant’s proposed plan, and commitment to mentor the applicant during their stay at UBC
Application materials should be emailed to Gayle Kosh (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Award Provider: Faculty of Forestry, UBC
Important Notes: Note that successful Queen Elizabeth Visiting Scholarship applicants must also apply as a Visiting International Research Student through UBC Go Global: (http://students.ubc.ca/about/go-global/coming-ubc-exchange/visiting-international-research-student).