The IWMF is inviting applications for two Reporting Fellowships from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), to take place in May 2017.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): The Democratic Republic Of The Congo
About the Award: As part of the African Great Lakes Reporting Initiative, one group of six journalists will report from Lubumbashi and surrounding areas in southeast Katanga province. Concurrently, a second group of six journalists will work in Goma, North Kivu province.
Stories must be relevant to those locations, and may touch on themes like civic engagement, rural development, international investment, or food security, among others. Stories must focus on in-depth and new narratives and be notably different from those reported on previous Fellowships. We will prioritize applications with creative, thoughtful, and original pitches.
Both groups of reporting Fellows will begin their trip in Nairobi, Kenya, where they will complete orientation and Hostile Environments and First Aid Training (HEFAT) May 4 – 7. Fellows then depart for a week of in-country work May 8 – 17 from Lubumbashi and surrounding areas in southeast Katanga province, or Goma. Fellows will have the opportunity to network with other journalists, report independently and collaboratively with their peers, and gain access to a variety of sources and sites related to their reporting.
- Affiliated or freelance women journalists currently working full time in the news media, with three (3) or more years of professional experience. Internships do not count toward professional experience.
- Women journalists of all nationalities are welcome to apply.
- Non-native English speakers must be proficient in English in order to fully participate in and benefit from the program.
- Applicants must be able to show proof of interest from an editor or have a proven track record of publication in prominent media outlets (a letter from an editor is strongly preferred).
Value of Fellowship: The IWMF arranges travel and in-country logistics for all Fellows within the scope of the Fellowship base location and trip dates. The IWMF also covers Fellowship-related costs within the framework of the reporting trip including travel, lodging, meals, and fixers/interpreters, unless a selected journalist’s news organization wishes to assume these costs. Visa costs will also be covered. Fellows living outside the U.S. are responsible for procuring all necessary visas, for which they will be reimbursed at the conclusion of the Fellowship.
Duration of Fellowship: May 4 – 17, 2017
How to Apply:
- Lubumbashi, Katanga province DRC Reporting Trip: apply here
- Goma, North Kivu province DRC Reporting Trip: apply here
Award Provider: International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF)
Important Notes: Please note the feasibility of day trips outside messaged locations (Lubumbashi or Goma) will be determined by IWMF security protocols and assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Application Deadline: 21st February 2017