The Bag Factory is calling for entries from young emerging artists to apply to the Visiting Artist Residency Programme. The programme, sponsored by studio artist Benon Lutaaya will avail an emerging female artist working in the field of drawing, painting, printmaking, collage or sculpture a 5 month residency at the Bag Factory. Opportunities to interact with local artists, develop and grow their creative practice, to expand their network internationally and to experience a climate of cultural diversity will also be available. Applicants are reminded that eligibility criteria is noteworthy.
- Applicants must be female
- Between 2 and 4 years practicing as an artist
- Must work in the medium of either drawing, painting, printmaking and/or sculpture.
- Applicants must be South African.
Visiting artists are expected to:
- Work from the Bag Factory, interacting with Bag Factory and local artists, and experiencing the city,
- Complete a written report on their visit,
- Donate a work to the Bag Factory,
- Arrive on time and stay for the full period (five months)
- A 5 month residency at the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios including a material stipend and accomodation if the winner is from outside Johannesburg
- Solo show with Lizamore & Associates Gallery at the end of at the residency
- A return flight ticket to France for a 10 week international residency with SAFFCA in 2018, including R45,000 stipend while on residency in France
- Turbine Art Fair group show together with the 2 runners-up
This applicant must be able to participate in the full programme starting on 01 July and ending on 30 November 2017.
Applicants should not expect to profit financially from their stay at the Bag Factory, as this is cultural development programme.
Applicants must submit:
- A representative portfolio of work
- A substantial curriculum vitae with full names, references, addresses and contact numbers
- A brief letter of motivation, not more than one A4 page long, outlining reasons for wishing to join the programme and why specifically you wish to come to the Bag Factory
Application Deadline: June 20th 2017
Applications must be submitted by email to
For More Information: