Calvin Prize for Vermont Youth
The Calvin Coolidge Presidential Foundation established the Calvin Prize for Vermont Youth Writing Contest for candidates ages 13 to 19 and currently living or attending school in the state of Vermont. The prizes will be awarded for the article, essay, or poem under 800 words that best answers the prompt of this year’s prize. The winners will be invited to attend and be honored at the Coolidge Foundation’s annual summer gala in Plymouth Notch, Vt. on July 1, 2017. The first-place prize of $1,500 and the runner-up prize of $500 are awarded to the winners.
Calvin Coolidge, 30th president of the United States, was a man of noble character noted for his sense of honor, his conservative values and his devotion to public service.
- To be eligible to compete, the contestant must be a current resident of the state of Vermont or attend school in Vermont.
- Contestants must be age 13-19 as of May 19, 2017 (i.e. contestants cannot be younger than 13 or older than 19).
How to Apply:
- Interested candidates can apply online to be entering in the writing contest. The link is: https://coolidgefoundation.org/blog/2017-calvin-prize-for-vermont-youth/
- To be entered in the writing contest applicants must write an article, essay, or poem under 800 words that best answers the prompt of this year’s prize.
- Writing submissions must contain fewer than 800 words.
- Writing submissions may be an essay previously submitted as a school assignment or a new writing submission altogether. The submitting author may have a teacher or mentor provide feedback on a draft, but the submission must reflect the author’s own original thinking and writing. Poems and short stories are also welcome.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- The first‐place prize of $1,500 and the runner‐up prize of $500 are awarded at the Coolidge Foundation’s annual summer gala in Plymouth Notch, Vermont.
- The winners will be invited to attend the Coolidge Foundation’s Summer Gala on Saturday, July 1, 2017, where they will be honored and receive their awards.
May 19, 2017, is the last date for submitting applications.
Link for More Information:
If you have any question, email at Rthomas-at-coolidgefoundation.org.