SHARE TO HELP SOMEONE WIN A SCHOLARSHIP TODAY!
In 2017, the YAB seeks to recruit young people who are committed and passionate to join the continental Youth Advisory Board for Sexual and Reproductive Health and rights
Eligible Countries: African countries plus the Diaspora
About the Award: The continental Youth Advisory Board for Sexual and Reproductive Health and rights was set up in November 2015 to represent young people from African and the diaspora in the review, development, popularization and accountability initiatives as they relate to young people’s policies in Africa. It is a model of youth participation and engagement in continental policy interventions, bridging the gaps between continental decision making platforms, national and community level policy contexts and implementation. The YAB capacitates young people and positions them to bring the youth voice in spaces where youth development issues are discussed. They are expected to lead the popularization of African Union policies at national level, and educate their peers to better understand how decisions made at continental level could influence their day to day lives.
Specifically, the Youth Advisory Board members is tasked with advising, assisting, supporting and advocating for the SCAA&YP project as well as facilitating direct youth engagement at local, national, regional and global levels. In 2017, the YAB seeks to recruit young people who are committed and passionate about:
- Volunteering time, skills and talents to the YAB’s activities and projects which may include travel.
- Identifying opportunities at all levels (national, regional and continental) that can be leveraged to advance the adolescent and youth development agenda.
- Maintaining consistent and effective virtual communication with fellow board members.
- Research, online content generation and videography / photography. These skills will bolster the YAB’s visibility through its social media platforms and blog
- Promoting and simplifying the policies of the African Union in peer networks and platforms.
- Timely documentation and reporting to the SCAA&YP Project Coordinator.
Eligibility: The Youth Advisory Board is consisted of young Africans between the ages of 10 and 34 from all 5 regions of Africa plus the Diaspora. Each member is nominated by his or her organisation and this year, we are looking for a total of 24 members from: NORTH AFRICA – 2 males and 2 females WEST AFRICA – 2 males and 2 females CENTRAL AFRICA – 2 males and 2 females SOUTHERN AFRICA – 2 males and 2 females EAST AFRICA – 2 males and 2 females DIASPORA – 2 males and 2 females
Each application for the Youth Advisory Board sh ould be submitted by a youth led and/or youth focused organisation. The organisation (working regionally or affiliated to a regional body) should possess proven expertise and sound knowledge in at least one of the four pillars identified in the African Union Roadmap on ‘Harnessing the Demographic Dividend through Investments in Youth’. The nominated YAB member should:
- Be aged between 10 and 34. (female applicants are highly encouraged)
- Have a proven leadership track record in their community, country or region.
- Have sound knowledge in public health and the Demographic Dividend.
Number of Awards: 24 members
Value of Program:
- Capacity Building
- Fully-funded Participation on Continental Fora
- Leadership Development
Duration of Program: 1 year
How to Apply: Interested organisations are required to provide the following information:
- A description of the organisation and its work: a. Vision, mission, thematic focus and geographical working areas. b. Brief on the organisation’s work in the last five years highlighting notable achievements.
- Certificate of registration (or equivalent document) detailing the organisation’s legality in at least one African Union Member State.
- Recommendation letter from a credible regional or continental organisation.
- Nomination letter for one suitably qualified individual within the organisation’s ranks who is able to travel between the 5th to the 9th June to attend the YAB orientation meeting.
- Short biography and scanned passport copy of the nominated individual.
- Signed commitment letter by the nominated individual to volunteer as a member of the Youth Advisory Board.
All applications must be emailed to email@example.com with the subject: YAB2017.
by Friday, 26th of May 2017 at 5pm GMT+3
Award Provider: Africa Union