Application are available for the African Union Kwame Nkrumah Awards for Scientific Excellence, eligible persons are welcome to apply as application submission will stop on the stated deadline.
The Commission of the African Union is committed to support the use and development of science in Africa and has, since 2008 been running the African Union Kwame Nkrumah Awards for Scientific Excellence (AUKNASE).
These awards are in memory of the Great Pan-Africanist and First President of the Republic of Ghana, Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, a firm believer in African liberation and unity! A man who pursued a revolutionary pan-African policy, with a strong vision extending beyond national boundaries, for the creation of a new Africa, “a federal union of African states”. He is among the key founding fathers of the then Organization of African Unity in 1963, an important pan-Africanist organization, which later become the African Union in 2002.
Institution: African Union
- To be eligible for the African Union Scientific Awards nominees shall be African scientists who have made remarkable achievements, demonstrated by number and quality of their publications, number of trained research graduate students, applicability of the scientific work to Africa’s challenges, and its patentability. The award is intended to recognize those who demonstrate excellence in research of relevance to the developmental needs of the continent.
- Only nationals of the African Union (AU) Member States are eligible to participate in these Awards;
- Nominees shall be Africans residing in any of the AU member states and can be nominated only for achievements based on work conducted in an African country.
- Must have published in journals (at least 20 articles with impact factor greater than 1.0)
- Must appear as senior/corresponding author in at least 15 of the 25 articles
- Must have a minimum H-index of 25
- Must have at least two international or four national patents registered
- Must have supervised or co-supervised at least 10 PhD students
- Must have won an international grant as a principal investigator
- Must have written a review article in his/her field of specialization
- Online Nominations will be invited from any institution in the continent, from universities, research institutions, professional bodies, academies, industrial establishments, and so on.
- Nominations may be received from: individuals who may be senior individuals of the same or higher rank than the nominee; Heads of institutions who may have their own formalized procedure for nomination, chairpersons of committees who review the achievements of scientists in their institutions;
- The nominator is required to show the importance and impact of the research. The focus will be on the quality of the work and not necessarily the number of publications. The nominator should provide a narrative presentation (up to five pages) of the importance, relevance, quality and impact of the work. A full CV as well as 5-10 copies of best publications are to be submitted together with the nomination form.
- All successfully completed nominations on the on-line system will be automatically acknowledged
Application Deadline: November 10th 2017
For More Information: