MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program
Are you a student from Sub-Saharan Africa who has demonstrated academic talent and a personal commitment to giving back to your country, but you face significant economic barriers to higher education? If so, we invite you to apply to the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program.
If you are selected, you will receive a scholarship equivalent to the costs of attaining a Bachelor’s degree, including travel, tuition, textbooks, housing, food and living expenses. You will also receive financial, academic, social and post-graduation support which will enable you to gain the experiences and skills you need to succeed.
For general information about The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, please visit The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is open to students who are residents and citizens of a Sub-Saharan Africa country. You must be a first-time applicant to the University of Toronto who has not yet begun university study elsewhere. If you are a transfer student, you are not eligible for the program.
In order to be eligible, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be a resident and a graduating high school student of a country within Sub-Saharan Africa
- Demonstrate financial need correspondent to that of the lowest two quintiles of your country
- Have very strong academic results within your school system
- Have a record of leadership and extracurricular involvement
- Maintain a strong desire to return to Africa to assist and work towards enhanced regional socioeconomic development
- Be graduating from a recognized secondary school, or have completed the necessary academic requirements
- Fulfil the necessary English requirements (dependent on country)
Please note that both academic and English requirements differ based on the country and educational system you are coming from.
How to apply
This scholarship opportunity is available for first-entry undergraduate programs in either the Faculty of Arts & Science or the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering at the St. George campus.
Applications for the 2017-2018 academic year are now open. The deadline to apply is Deadline to apply is December 10, 2016.
A completed application includes the following components:
- A completed online application – all applicable sections must be filled out, including contact information, financial information, personal details and responses to essay questions.
- Financial documents – upload a scanned copy of financial documentation.
- Transcript – upload a scanned copy of your secondary school transcript and any other academic information.
- Two references – provide the names and contact details of two individuals who will serve as your referees. We will contact your referees directly and ask them to submit their letter of reference through a secure website.
How many students does the Program accept?
It is expected that the program will accept 15 students in the 2017-2018 academic year.