The Canon Foundation With the European University Institute is pleased to call for applications from young , ambitious researchers for the 2017 Canon Co-sponsored Research Fellowships in Europe . These fellowships are available to Japanese applicants to carry out research in any field.The scholarship program is aimed at providing assistance for Japanese candidates in study and research in all areas of knowledge.All applicants are to take note of the eligibility criteria as stated and all submission must be made before the application deadline.
The Canon Foundation is a philanthropic, grant-making institution, active in the promotion of international culture and scientific relations between Europe and Japan.
Course Level: These fellowships are available to pursue research.
Study Subject: These fellowships are awarded in any area of research.
Scholarship Award: These fellowships will cover the followings:
The stipend is € 2,000 per month. Successful applicants benefiting from other grants or salaries must disclose this to the Canon Foundation in Europe and the European University Institute, as the amount of the Fellowship will be fixed at a lower rate (€ minimum 1,250 per month) in function of the additional income.
- Family allowance
A household allowance of € 300 per month is paid to Fellows with a partner when the partner accompanies the fellow in Florence and on the condition that the partner’s income does not exceed € 2,000 per month. In addition to this, there is a dependant’s allowance of € 200 per month for each dependent child that resides with the Fellow in Florence. Fellows are entitled to these allowances if they can declare that they are not receiving any similar allowance from another source and upon production of relevant certificates (marriage certificate or equivalent, birth certificates). For dependent children in full-time education and over the age of 18, a school or university certificate is required. No allowance is paid for dependent children over the age of 26.
- Travel expenses
Fellows (but not their families) receive one tourist class return trip from their hometown to Florence (calculated not to exceed € 1,200).
- Removal/ installation expenses
there is no extra provision for removal or installation expenses.
The Fellowships are not taxed by the European University Institute or the Canon Foundation in Europe. Fellows are, however, required to comply with any other tax provisions which may be applicable to them.
- Medical and liability insurance
Fellows must have adequate medical and liability insurance cover during their stay at the European University Institute. They should either provide proof of their own insurance scheme or subscribe to the European University Institute’s private sickness and health insurance scheme (at their own expense). The conditions of the European University Institute’s insurance scheme are available from the Academic Service of the Institute.
Fellows should have a good knowledge of the languages most relevant to their proposed research, and a working knowledge of English.
Fellows are required to reside in Florence for the duration of their Fellowship in order that they may take an active part in the academic activities of the European University Institute.
The research done during the Fellowship should lead to a publication, either under the European University Institute’s imprint, e.g. in the form of a working paper, or in a journal, or with an appropriate publishing house. Topics must fall within the European University Institute’s research areas.
- Acknowledgments and personal details
The Canon Foundation in Europe and the European University Institute will be acknowledged in any publication resulting from the period. The Fellow allows his/her name and personal details as contact address and career moves to be registered with other Canon Fellows in publications and on the Canon Foundation website.
- Visa and travel arrangements
The Fellow takes care of the visa arrangement and can ask the European University Institute for assistance. The Canon Foundation in Europe will send a statement to the Fellow to be used for visa application. The Fellow makes his/her own travel arrangements.
The European University Institute housing office can assist in finding accommodation.
Numbers of Scholarships: Not known
Scholarship can be taken in Italy
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following area for these fellowships:
- The Fellowships are intended to support post-doctoral research by academics in the early stages of their professional career, in any of the research areas of the European University Institute. Please refer to eui.eu for research areas. The Fellowships are open to candidates who have successfully defended their Ph.D. at the time of the start of the Fellowship (1 September each year).
- Appropriate extensions to the five-year rule will be allowed in the case of applicants whose academic career has been interrupted because of maternity leave or illness. In particular, for each maternity leave, an additional year will be permitted, while in the case of a long or recurrent illness, the total period of illness may be taken into account in calculating eligibility. Explanation of such circumstances should be included in the application. Supporting documents will be requested from candidates proposed for selection.
Nationality: Japanese applicants are eligible for the fellowship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must be PhD.
English Language Requirement: Fellows should have a good knowledge of the languages most relevant to their proposed research, and a working knowledge of English.
How to Apply: Applicants can apply through the online processor.
- Applications should be sent to the Canon Foundation in Europe. The Canon Foundation in Europe APPLICATION FORM should be used with the deadline of September 15 each year. Details of the host organization do not need to be filled in. Also no host confirmation is required. The European University institute will designate the appropriate department to the Fellow in case of a successful application. Letters to the applicants will be sent out before the Christmas holidays.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is September 15, 2017.