Applications are currently been invited for the UCT Klaus-Jurgen Bathe Leadership Scholarships for International Students and submissions will be ongoing till 31 August 2017. Thi scholarship program is to be held at University of Cape Town and it is for undergraduate programs. Students of any nationality may apply, but preference will be given first to South African citizens and permanent residents, followed by nationals of other African countries. The scholarship offers full financial support to the value of R120,000-00 per year, intended to cover tuition fees, accommodation, meals and an allowance for books, stationery and transport. scholars will also have the privilege of getting international attachments for the purpose of exposure.Applicants are advised to see the eligibility criteria and ensure that they meet up with each of them as listed.
‣ The UCT Klaus-Jurgen Bathe Leadership Scholarships are awarded on an annual basis to selected UCT undergraduate students with demonstrated leadership potential, for the purposes of financially supporting the scholars as they continue with their chosen degree programmes at UCT, at the same time developing their leadership potential through additional Programme activities, to better prepare them for eventually taking up significant leadership roles in South Africa or other African countries.
School(Institutions/ Country): | South Africa(scholars will also be required to spend up to 6 weeks attached to an approved organization in South Africa, Germany or the USA, gaining exposure to sound leadership practices)
Level: undergraduate programme.
Field(s): any of the six Faculties of UCT.
Deadline: 31 August 2017.
Funded By: University of Cape Town, South Africa
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): UCT Klaus-Jurgen Bathe Leadership Scholarships are targeted for students of any nationality may apply, but preference will be given first to South African citizens and permanent residents, followed by nationals of other African countries.
‣ No. of awards: Not Specified
|‣ Scholarship Tenure : Scholars will receive full financial support for the remaining two years of their studies. Scholars should remain in good academic standing after the first year, as a condition for the renewal of the award for a second year. Scholars will also be required to spend up to 6 weeks attached to an approved organization in South Africa, Germany or the USA, gaining exposure to sound leadership practices.
‣Value of Scholarship : The scholarship offers full financial support to the value of R120,000-00 per year, intended to cover tuition fees, accommodation, meals and an allowance for books, stationery and transport. The scholarship will also entitle the recipient to a 6-week internship in the USA, Germany or South Africa, the costs of which will be met by the Programme.
‣ The UCT Klaus-Jurgen Bathe Leadership Scholarships Programme is open to all undergraduate students enrolled in any of the six Faculties of UCT.
‣ Students can apply in their first year of study, or after completing first year. However, there must be at least two years of the degree programme remaining at the time of award. The scholarship cannot be held for a period less than two years.
‣ Postgraduate students are not eligible. While it is expected that the majority of scholars will be citizens of South Africa, candidates from other sub-Saharan African countries are also welcome to apply.
‣ However, a condition for non-South African candidates is that they must demonstrate a commitment to remain in South Africa and serve the country for at least 5 years after their studies. They must also commit to serving their own countries.
Selection Criteria for UCT Klaus-Jurgen Bathe Leadership Scholarships
‣ Selection will be made from students who demonstrate potential to be the leaders of tomorrow in various sectors of the economies of their respective countries in Africa, and who show promise to make a significant impact in business, government, industry and civil society of South Africa or other African countries.
‣ Students will be selected for this Programme on the basis of academic merit, demonstrated leadership potential, and willingness to serve the public and the community, and commitment to the goals of the Programme.
‣ Financial need will also be taken into account (all applicants are required to provide information about family income on the application form), but it will not be an overriding factor.
‣ Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview, and will be required to speak on a topic of global relevance as part of the selection process.
‣ They will be required to demonstrate why they are deserving of the scholarship, and to explain how they see themselves playing a leadership role in their country or on the African continent in the future.
Scholarship Application Method
Prospective scholars should complete the correct application form for the year in question. The application form for the 2018 intake of new scholars is available HERE.
‣ Submission Instructions
- The application form must be completed electronically and submitted via email as a PDF attachment to Mr Khaya Salman: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Supporting documents (certified copies and 3 references in sealed envelopes) must be delivered in one package to the following physical address:
Mr Khaya Salman: Programme Administrator
Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Programme
Room 6.19, Menzies Building, UCT Upper Campus
Tel: 021 650 1228
Closing date for applications: 31 August 2017. Late applications will not be considered.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 31 August 2017.
‣ Application forms ( Application Form ) and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.